Friday, October 24, 2008

Fireproof's impact...

I was wondering yesterday as I read about Fireproof's profits if the movie was having any impact on lives. Were marriages being rescued? Were people coming to know Jesus? Was there any real stuff happening? I mean, who cares, really, if the movie makes 40 or 50 times the money it took to create if people aren't being transformed?

This morning I got an email update from the Fireproof website. I signed up for it a month or so ago and had mostly been getting info on opening night, profits, etc. This time it was different. This time the email was all about changed lives. What I read was incredibly encouraging.

Here are three testimonials from this update...

"My husband and I went to see this amazing movie! It changed our marriage. We have been married 26 years and had some major unresolved issues that came to the surface after watching the movie. These issues very easily could have cost us our marriage, and almost did. This movie helped us to face the problems and deal with them. After a very hard weekend, God helped us to make it to the other side. God used the movie to show us where our relationship really needed help. Thank you so much for addressing the hard issues in this movie. With God's help, it saved our marriage. I know it will change many more lives."

"We were on the brink of divorce. My husband and I were separated for one year. Our story was very similar to the one in the movie. I did not want to go see it at the time, especially with my husband. I finally agreed to go as a couple after an invitation from a friend and her husband. I was very uncomfortable and nervous before the movie even started. As I watched the story unfold, God spoke to me over and over again. I cried through most of the movie, realizing that I was being selfish and I had hurt my husband severely. After it was over, we went home and discussed participating in the Fireproof study with the same couple that had gone with us to the movie. We have completed the second week of study and I am participating in The Love Dare. My life has changed and so has my marriage. We have a long road ahead, but we're on the right path."

"I am a police officer and a bi-vocational pastor. Last week, a detective asked if he could see me in his office. I noticed that there were tears in his eyes. He looked at me and said, 'Larry, I want to become a godly man. I have done things that I am not proud of and I want to change.' I shared with him the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. When I asked what got him to thinking about making a change in his life, he said, 'My wife and I went to see a movie called Fireproof. I saw a lot of myself in that movie and it did not make me proud.'"

Lives, and eternities, are being changed! I encourage you to go see Fireproof. You'll be encouraged if your marriage is strong. You'll be challenged to work harder at loving your spouse like Christ loved the church. You'll be called upon to respect and cherish the one you chose for better or for worse. Go see Fireproof!

No comments: