Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanks for asking...

I attempted to run 100 miles a little over a week ago. My friend and running partner, Adam, made it. I didn't. After running for 11 and a half hours, I was dehydrated and my kidneys were messed up. I was peeing blood. My right foot hurt with every step. I didn't want to, but I called it quits at 50 miles. I was terribly disappointed.

Over the past seven or eight days, the same question has come up time and time again: "Are you going to try again?" I've mostly answered "I don't know" or "I'm not ready to make that decision yet" or something else noncommittal.

Today, I'm ready to say something different. I want to try again. I do not like leaving something that I aimed to do undone. It may be a few days before I start running in earnest again, but the training will start soon.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. I DNF'd a 50miler and it was hard for people to understand the complexity of emotion. A friend and I are going to run the 100miler at Kettle Moraine in June. I hope we are ready.

Unknown said...

Hope your 100-miler attempt goes well.

quix said...

I think 50 miles is a pretty awesome accomplishment (though I know it wasn't what you were shooting for). Good luck with your training!