Thursday, September 4, 2008

Great pain...

It is a well-known fact that Kansas is a windy state. There aren't many trees or buildings or what have you to stop the rushing of air o'er the earth's surface here, so it is, most generally, blustery. A breezy day holds sustained winds of 5 to 10mph.

Today was more than breezy! I took off for my noontime ride and found myself struggling to creep along at much more than a snail's pace. There were times, riding up an incline into a strong north headwind that I was under 12mph. Argh! The pain was great! I ended the outward leg of my journey with an 13.8mph average. Slooooow.

Great pain...great gain! With the wind at my back, I sailed home. I quickly reached cruising speed and in no time at all my average had climbed up over 17mph. I decided to push harder to see just how much I could elevate my overall speed. I pulled up to my garage, clamped down on the brakes and looked at my cyclocomputer. 17.8mph! I gained 4mph in just 7.5 miles! That is, if my memory serves me, the greatest gain I've ever seen on a single ride.

Can't wait to get out and see what tomorrow will blow up.

No comments: