Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Oh, the difference a day can make...

I love biking. I think I've mentioned that before. I love biking. There I did it again. I love riding swiftly along the highway, out distancing all the cares of the day. I forget I have troubles while pushing (and pulling) the pedals of my Trek.

Yesterday was a day to die for. I rode out into a mildly strong headwind - 7.5 miles straight north - eking out a pitiful 15.2mph average. But when I turned it was glorious. I flew over the bumps Kansans call hills. My wind-assisted return took considerably less time than my trip out. I ended with an average 3mph higher - 18.2mph. An incredible gain if I do say so myself.

Today was another story. It was, first of all, much windier. It was also much cooler. While I struggled to keep the sweat out of my eyes in yesterday's 80+ heat, I had to don my cold weather gear this afternoon. In tights and a jacket, 59 degrees was just barely bearable. Then it started raining. Gustav's eye is just to the east of Kansas and it's long tentacles were reaching back into the state. Riding in a hurricane (or former hurricane) is not fun. The wet you get is a cold wet. I was never so happy to pull into my garage and never as pleased as I was with my otherwise unremarkable 16.2mph average.

Tomorrow's another day. It's supposed to get up to 80. We'll see.

No comments: