Friday, December 15, 2006

Freedom is just around the corner...

Are you holding a grudge against another? Hanging on to their offenses? God has the power to heal you, to take away the anger, the bitterness, the pain. Trust me! I know. God not only saved me when I believed on Jesus, he set me free in a powerful way.

For years I focused on the pain one particular man inflicted on me. I would not let his offenses go. I became angry and bitter. Depressed. I was in bondage. Then God spoke to me and my life changed.

I was reading in Matthew one day when I ran across these words of Jesus: "...if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matthew 6:18) I immediately sensed the conviction of the Holy Spirit in my heart: "You've held onto your hatred long enough." I knew I had to let my "enemy" off the hook right then and there. I didn't want to do it. But God had spoken clearly. So I chose forgiveness. It was an act of my will, completely devoid of feeling, possible only with my Father's help.

That day my healing began. My anger slowly disappeared. The fog of depression lifted. God worked in my life and freedom came. I began praying for this man. Saw him as one in need of God's grace. I continue to pray for him when God brings him to mind. I hope one day that he and I will bow before Jesus and worship our Savior together. My tears - they still come from time to time - will be forever wiped away. I won't remember my past with him then. Before heaven's throne we'll just be two men grateful to the God who had mercy on us. "O please come, my friend! Receive God's forgiveness! You already have mine!"

It's your turn now. Believe on Jesus for your salvation. If you don't do that first, you'll have no power to do what comes next. You need God's help to forgive your "enemies." So believe and forgive and find freedom too amazing for words. It's waiting just around the corner. Go find it.

No comments: