Friday, December 8, 2006

My Mission in This World

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy loads and put them on men’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them." (Matthew 23:2-4, Jesus speaking)

These verses scare me every time I read them. They put me on notice. If I teach God’s word and don’t live it, watch out! If I pile up loads of commands, but don’t help out, God is not pleased.

Several years ago I wrote up a personal mission statement: "To know the truth, to live the truth, to proclaim the truth."

I put the three in that order on purpose. I knew I had to know the truth first. I had to know Jesus personally. I had to be intimate with him. I had to study his words and the rest of God’s revelation in the Bible.

I knew secondly that I had to I live the truth I knew. I had to obey God’s word. I had to show Jesus’ love in practical ways. I had to exhibit the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) in my life or my words would mean nothing.

I knew finally that God had called me to proclaim the truth. I had to preach what I was living. I had to teach what I was learning. I had to use my gifts to correct and rebuke and encourage and train God’s people.

To know the truth, to live the truth, to proclaim the truth. Keeping those three things straight helps me avoid the pitfalls of the Pharisees and teachers of the law. They keep me from piling up loads on your backs that I’m unwilling to lift myself.

No comments: