Sunday, December 10, 2006

I sing to cows...

Of all my oddities, the oddest is that I sing to cows. I entertain my bovine buddies most often when I'm more than tired on a long, long bike ride. Somewhere after fifty or sixty miles, when my mind is numb from hours of spinning my legs in circles, melodies burst from my lips. I can't help myself. I make up new songs. "Hello, cows. How are you today?" I sing. Other times I sing well-known tunes in "moos" - The Sound of Music is a favorite: "Moo moooo moo moo mooooo moo moo moooo moooo moo mooooo."

How do the cows react? On occasion, they stampede. So I sing more loudly as they flee. But mostly they just stare. I don't know if it's because they can't quite make out what I'm saying or if they think I've gone mad. (There's a joke about mad cows in there somewhere, but I can't quite hear what the voices in my head are saying.)

So anway, I re-discovered this morning a long lost friend - a website that, several years back, made me laugh till milk shot out my nose. It's the site for a Swedish milk company and it is hilarious. Check it out in English (unless you know Swedish) right away. It's an "udder" delight to hear my moo-cow friends singing their favorite heavy metal, hip hop and disco hits. I think I've milked the cow puns for all they're worth now, so what are you waiting for? Fire up the Milko Music Machine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Mike! I'm looking forward to reading more.

Paul L said...

In the new documentary movie "Awake my Soul" that can be learned about and purchased here

http://www.awakemysoul.com/

there is a story of a 18th Century shape note songwriter who found the right notes to a particular song by listening to a cow bellow in a field. (Sorry I don't know how to make the link actually work. . . .) So you aren't the only one to find them musical.