Monday, September 14, 2009

An ethical dilemma...

Some of you are going to laugh at me when you read this post. You're going to be blown away that I would even ask the question I'm going to ask. It will seem preposterous to you. It is not at all to me.

It all started when I opened up the latest issue of Bicycling Magazine. I read the article about Lance and Alberto's rivalry. I skimmed a couple of other features and then I noticed this crazy Cadillac promo. It was on one of those annoying cards every magazine places in the binding. The gist of the offer was this: Test drive a Cadillac CTS. Get a free Cadillac bicycling jersey valued at $100. (Like the one here only black.)

I saw that and thought, All my jerseys are plain and boring. I want this jersey. So I proceeded to call a dealership in Wichita to see if they would allow me to test drive a car that I openly admitted I wouldn't likely buy. The sales rep I talked with said he'd have to check with his manager and call me back. So I gave him my name and number. Before I even got home, he had called back.

I talked with my manager and he doesn't want to have someone driving a $50,000 to $60,000 car around town unless they're serious about buying. He said if you brought your form in, we could sign it for you."

Now the question: Do I go and have someone sign a form that says I test drove a certain car that I did not drive so I could have a $100 bicycling jersey?

I wrestled with that question of ethics for only a few seconds before deciding, no, I could not do that. I would be forcing the salesman or manager who signed my form to lie and would be receiving a jersey I did not earn honestly. Bummer.

Think I'm nuts? Go ahead and comment.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was managing a dealership I always asked my salespeople to just sign the form then ask if the person wanted to take a serious look at the car before taking people on a test drive for no real gain.

But don't forget. This is a win, win scenario for Cadillac. Even if you don't buy the car or even seriously consider the car, they still get their logo out into the public.

IMHO you should take the form in, have them sign it. It is an advertising promotion and Cadillac will be happy to have you wear the jersey as you bike around. You will be a living billboard for their company and that is worth it to them.

Your old buddy, Kirk

Louise said...

No, Mike, I don't think you are crazy. I admire you. There aren't a lot of people who would rethink the whole idea. Thanks for standing strong and making the right decision!

Carolyn Harper

gcox said...

You're not nuts, just over-thinking this. It was perfectly reasonable for the dealership to not want you driving the car. But there offer was a generous one as well. The offer is a marketing scheme to get you to at least look at the car. You have done that. You actually have advertised that to everyone of your FB friends. Therefore, they have reached a potential of over 400 people about this car with the offer of a jersey to you. That is how marketing and advertising works. I don't believe it would be unethical in the slightest to accept the gift. With your post, they have been able to advertise to at least 400 people for a $100 cost. That is a quarter per person. You've earned your prize.

Jeff B said...

Mike, I admire your integrity. It is not a dumb question. You would be lying along with the dealer who falsified the form. You know your conscience would not allow you to do that. Integrity is a lost value. You have chosen a counter-cultural response that should make your Master very pleased. Someone has to model the high road--even if he can't ride it in a neat jersey!

Brian C. said...

Hmmm...interesting dilemma, and I agree that honesty and integrity are very important. Perhaps you know someone who might be interested in a new Cadillac that would like to take this car for a test drive but who doesn't want the jersey (and would give it to you).

Keep in mind what Kirk said is true enough, this is an advertising promotion...and it doesn't cost Cadillac anywhere near $100 to produce this jersey! They really do want people out there wearing these things...which perhaps presents a whole new ethical dilemma, do you want to be "used" like that for their advertising purposes?!

Anyway, it sounds like you already made your decision, and it is one that is certainly honorable because it means you understand well that the ends do not justify the means and you want to be completely honest in all things.

Then again, you were totally prepared to take the test drive, but Cadillac didn't want you to -- they would rather you just have the jersey!

Still, I say stick with your decision...that way you won't have to wonder if you did the right thing each time you wear it. Maybe someone will get one of these things and decide to sell it cheap on Ebay!!

Unknown said...

there is more than one caddy dealership in wichita. i plan to stop at the one on the west side this morning on my way to visit someone in the hospital. i'm hoping they'll let me take a spin around the relatively safe blocks surrounding their establishment. we'll see what happens.