Thursday, September 24, 2009

Seven hours over three years...

The Brothers Brick LEGO blog interviewed Angus MacLane, a Pixar animator, after he completed his Lego replica of Wall•E. (Pictured above.) Here is MacLane's response to their first question: How long did it take to build your Wall•E?

About seven hours over a span of three years. I started building the LEGO version of Wall•E around the same time he was being built in the computer in late summer of 2005. I had been waiting for some treads to be released, and with 7258 (the “Wookie Attack” set) I got just enough tread links for two treads.

The color scheme of Wall•E wasn’t settled so I stared building with all light grey. I wasn’t totally happy with the results. The treads were too small and pretty flimsy. I put him on the shelf and went back to work.

Then the snowmobile and bulldozer came out in 2007 and I had my tread solution. So I rebuilt him at the beginning of this year with the proper colors as we were finishing animation production. I’m proud of the overall proportions, but the eyes are still a bit too off for me.


(Read more of the interview...)

No comments: