Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Most embarrassing funeral...

Yesterday I performed the first of three funerals I will be conducting this week. Three in five days! (That's a record for me.) Everything was going fine until I got to the end of page one.

But let me back up a bit.

I spent the whole day Monday preparing for this first-of-three funeral. I began work around 6:30am and finished everything up around 10:00pm. I wouldn't have been at it so late, but Monday also happened to be my newsletter deadline and I had a couple of missionary related events to participate in. (Enjoyed lunch with Todd and the evening with Tim and Lindsay. No regrets for the long hours.)

I got up early yesterday morning and, while breakfast was in the oven, ran over to the church to check over my notes. When I finished up my practice, I noted a few paragraphs that I wanted to revise and ran home to eat. I returned to my office before 8:00am and edited the service, reprinted it, copied the twelve pages for the family and placed my copy on the pulpit in the sanctuary. I was ready for the day.

About 9:45am, people began arriving at the church. I greeted some of them and helped out where I could.

Around 10:15am, it was clear that we were going to need more seating, so I worked with several men to set up chairs at the back of the sanctuary. We managed to get everyone seated before 10:30am.

A minute or so after 10:30am, I walked the casket up the aisle and stood on the platform while the family filed in. When they were seated, I stepped to the pulpit and began.

Everything went smoothly at first. I talked about Reinhold Niebuhr’s famous, “Serenity Prayer," reminding everyone that there are things we cannot change (like the death of a loved one) and things we can change (like following a good man's example) and wisdom we could seek in the confusion of the grief process. That was all on page one.

As I was finishing the last sentence at the bottom of the page, I flipped the sheet over and stopped. The page was blank. I looked frantically across at the top of the next sheet - Page 3. I died a thousand deaths in that moment. I couldn't go on. I apologized, said something about having the wrong notes and stepped down from pulpit. I walked briskly to the back of the sanctuary and turned toward my office. As I entered my study door, my friend Tytus, one of the funeral home's staff members, stepped toward me holding out a copy of my notes. He had retrieved them from my desk to save me time. I thanked him and returned to the sanctuary.

Remember when I said that I had printed my notes then copied them for the family? What Tytus had handed me was the family's copy. The family's copy which I had copied from the notes that had the blank second page. In my panic that did not occur to me. So I positioned myself behind the pulpit once again, opened this freshly retrieved copy of my notes and stared at a blank page for the second time in less than five minutes. I was about to cry at this point. I apologized again and repeated my exit, stage right.

This time, I dug frantically through the recycle bin and found my original notes, the ones I had successfully practiced with that morning. They weren't revised like the others, but they were all there. No blank pages! I returned to the sanctuary and the rest of the service went amazingly well.

Other funerals have been more interesting (even amusing), but this one tops the red-in-the-face list.

The rest of the story: I went back after the graveside service and looked at the offending copies. My office printer had pulled two sheets of paper through at the same time, so page 2 was on the back of page 3 and page 4 was on the back of page 5. I had an entire set of notes the entire time. I didn't even think to look.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Could this be God's sovereignty? Maybe He wanted you to say what you originally said, and not rethink yourself.

Unknown said...

Could this be God's sovereignty? Maybe He wanted you to say what you originally were going to say, and not rethink yourself.

Unknown said...

if God is sovereign over every detail of life, it had to be his sovereignty. my revisions weren't so much changes in what i said, but additions to what i said. i think i added most of them in on the fly without notes. God is a good reminder of things that are important.

Deb said...

It could have happened to anyone, Mike. We (all of us) know that no one is perfect.

(As Larry crossed over, I'm sure he had one last reason to smile...)

and smiles are always a GOOD thing...

Deb