Thursday, September 3, 2009

Finding time for...

Something to think about...

I get a fair amount of “Where do you find the time to ____?” comments from people.

Here’s where I get the time: I don’t watch much TV. I watch 30 min. per day or less, and usually only 10-15 minutes.

That doesn’t make me better or more spiritual or anything else. I can certainly waste many hours on line, which is just as bad. But it does explain where I “find” time to do more important things: Bible study, prayer, service, exercise, family time, etc.

OK, I watch some TV, but I am deliberate about what I watch and when I watch it. I don’t just sit down to watch whatever is on. I’m glad to see that my daughters picked up on the habits of my wife and me. They have their favorite shows but are surgical in their viewing habits and don’t waste endless time watching TV.

The average person watches four hours of TV per day. Four hours per day! That’s 28 hours per week. So when I hear that I have no sympathy for people claiming to want to do more things for their faith (again, Bible reading, service, prayer) or their health if they can’t find a way to just cut back 10% of their TV watching.

If people could just skip one half hour show three times a week and go for a walk it would do wonders for their health and well being. In fact, that would do more to improve the average health of the nation than any politically driven reforms by either party.

Sorry for the sermon, but if people would take an eternal perspective and realize just how much they are missing out on participating in God’s kingdom it would do great things for their lives.

I’m not saying you have to watch zero TV, or even a certain amount. Just decide to control it and not let it control you. Not only can it waste your time, but the shows and commercials are almost universally designed to make you covetous and lustful.

Map out what is truly important to you then estimate where you spend your time, then be intentional about getting the two in sync.

Guest Blogger, Neil

No comments: