Friday, September 25, 2009

Racing the storm...

I got a late start on my bike ride this afternoon. A funeral dinner and hang out time with fellow EMTs at the local pizza place, set me back about an hour and a half. But, better late than never, I was able to get in 10 miles.

I took off around 2:15. The wind was about 6mph out of the southwest. Looking west as I swung out onto the highway, I saw nothing but dark clouds. I knew I'd be pushing it to get in the 15 miles I wanted before the storm hit, so I pedaled hard. (Just under 15 would put me over the 2000 mile mark for the year.)

When I reached the top of Drouhard hill five miles out, I decided I could make my 2000 mile mark another day. I saw lightning and the wind kicked it up a notch. I made a quick U-turn and headed back toward town. (My average at this point was a respectable 18.6mph.) With the wind at my back, I flew along the highway, maintaining near or over 30mph most of the time.

Then the rain started hitting me. Not big drops. Not a lot of drops. Just a tiny drop here and there. I pushed harder. My average was now over 20mph. I turned south at the correction line eying the rapidly approaching darkness to my south and west.

I really wanted that 15 miles. As I neared town, I toyed with the idea of riding 2.5 miles south and back, but a few more scattered raindrops changed my mind. That and the gale force winds.

So I roared into town and broke hard for my garage. The drops were getting bigger and more numerous as I swung my leg off the bike and opened the door.

I walked my bike halfway to the back wall before all hell broke loose. The wind drove the rain into the garage.

I snickered. I'd won! My average at the end was my fastest ever: 21.6mph! The wind speed when I checked: 19mph out of the northwest!

No comments: