Monday, January 11, 2010

New year's challenge...

A little late...

Twelve months ago did you know what you’d be looking back on now? Of course not! None of us know what the future will bring, good or bad. We live one day at a time, remembering the past, but knowing only the moment.

Some of you, because you don’t know what the coming months hold, worry. Perhaps something terrible has happened in your past and you’re afraid of a repeat this year. Who’s going to die? How much money will I lose? Which class will I flunk this time?

Others of you, wondering about the near future, anticipate good times. Your outlook is sunny. No worry clouds darken your mind. You dream of promotions and prizes. And why not think that way? That’s what your life has been full of so far.

Whatever your attitude, I want to ask you just one question: Do you trust in God? Those who live in fear have a trust problem, but some who live blissfully do too. They depend on themselves, on their good luck, with little thought of God.

To the worrywart, God says: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.” (Isaiah 42:1-2, NIV)

To the self-confident, God says: “Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight.” (Jeremiah 9:23-24, NIV)

Put your faith in God. He will be with you no matter what happens. Fear not! Receive his peace. Boast not! Give thanks.


To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: