Friday, January 29, 2010

what would jeff do?

i woke up early this morning and looked out the window. snow was everywhere. we'd gotten somewhere around two to three inches overnight. it was beautiful.

i thought to myself, "what would jeff do? moser would go riding." so i bundled up and headed out the door. it only took a short ride up the high school to realize clipping in was a bad idea. i nearly fell several times. so i turned around and came back home to change shoes.

with more sensible footwear in place, i rolled down my driveway again. this time i headed west to main street and then turned south. i had in mind to ride the holden nature center loop several times. i got to the southernmost edge of argonia and turned west onto the dirt road that heads west toward holden's.

the going was pretty slow, but it was fun. i spun in a lower gear like i was riding on sand and most of the time i felt pretty steady. i still slipped this way and that a time or two, but the gravel kept me going mostly straight.

when i rounded the corner and started up the hill toward the center heading north, i was creeping along. then my rear tire spun out. i tried to keep my balance, but i spun out again and came to a stop. looking at what i had left of the climb and knowing i would keep spinning out if i tried to start up again, i turned around and headed back to town.

the trip back was slightly less pleasant than the way out. the wind was more in my face and the blowing snow kept hitting me in the eyes, blinding me temporarily.

obviously i made it home in one piece. didn't fall even once. "i have a beard. i am a man. i went for a ride in the snow." i will not ask myself ever again, "what would jeff do?" jeff is crazy! (4.53 miles @ 9.7mph)

No comments: