Thursday, May 27, 2010

the perfect storm

you'd think i'd get bored riding out and back every day, but i never do. it's not the route that makes the ride. it's the way the legs and lungs and heart feel. it's the little things the eyes and ears and nose sense. it's the way, every once in awhile, it all works well together to do something amazing.

today was one of those days when everything felt right. my legs warmed up quickly and i pushed them harder and harder. i mashed the big ring up and over the hills - mock, antichrist, nine-mile, mt. mayfield. i lost a little power on the last of those inclines, but recovered on the downward slope.

at about fifteen miles out, i flip 180 degrees and headed back the way i'd come. my average at that point was hovering around 18mph. i decided i had more in me, so i stepped up my pace. i flew up most of the hills - mt. mayfield, salt truck, nine-mile, black dog, cemetery, mock - near or above 20mph. i only dropped under 18mph on cemetery hill and that was only on the steepest part.

about five miles out, i saw where my average was and decided i could bring it up to 19mph. i dug a bit deeper and found power i didn't think i still had. as i passed over my "around the world" mark on the highway, about a mile out, i let it fly. i never dropped under 20mph until i braked to make the turn into my driveway.

i'm still looking for that 22mph average ride, but there's hope in my heart again. there will be another "perfect storm" day in the nearer than i imagine future and i'll do it. here's to big dreams! (30.32 miles @ 19.1mph)

No comments: