Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Like magic...

BIBLE READING: Galatians 3:1-9

Unfortunately, there are times I take life into my own hands. I tend to think I have to work and live this Christian life by my own efforts. Sometimes I take a word so literally and intensely that I attempt to muster up more of myself than is humanly possible! Then I am cursed by the resulting mess.

Thankfully the Lord knows my heart is weak and when I give it back to him, he gently heals me. Sometimes little by little, and sometimes in leaps and bounds, my heart is transformed in his best timing. Though I make mistakes along the way, I am changing through forgiveness. Then I give my whole heart to him again and ta-da! Like magic-because I am filled up with his presence- those love muscles enlarge to love more. This is all a mystery explained only by God’s supernatural power. Though love increases more, our hearts also rest more.

As Jesus takes over my life, he pushes out clutter of legalistic striving. If I try to take my heart back and repair it myself, more religious debris comes into play and I can only cover the wounds with bandages of striving and no rest. If I go back to Jesus and allow him to take the forefront of my soul, change takes place so gently I don’t even realize it until much later. I need to let go more and let God do his supernatural work in me. How about you?

-Eve Garrison (Fruit of the Vine, July, Aug, Sept 2011 Vol. 51, No. 3, Barclay Press)

No comments: