Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My pledge...

I’ve always taken very seriously my responsibility before God for myself and for His church. I’m not easy on myself. I hate my sin, my weaknesses. Realistically, God is likely more merciful toward me than I am.

As for the church, I know I am accountable before God for every person I serve. That has always been true for God’s preachers and prophets.

“Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. When I say to the wicked, ‘O wicked man, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man to turn from his ways and he does not do so, he will die for his sin, but you will have saved yourself.” (Ezekiel 33:7-9, NIV)

Sobering words to say the least. They speak volumes to me. If I fail to speak the truth God commands me to teach, the blood of every man, woman and child who does not believe on and follow Jesus is on my head. That’s why I speak as clearly as I can when I preach. It’s why I write plainly about God’s word. Not that I always get it right. I’ve made mistakes. I’ve hurt people. I’ve had to reevaluate what I’ve “known” as God has revealed my mistaken views.

I cannot promise perfection to you. I am a man who has not yet arrived. I will pledge this, however, I will do my best with God’s help to point you toward a life of faith and obedience to God’s word and his Spirit’s leading.

-Sign up for my regular email list by sending a blank email to knowthetruth-join@freegroups.net.

1 comment:

Colton Neifert said...

Good stuff, I always enjoy your posts Uncle Mike, keep it up!