Thursday, June 14, 2012

A kind of slow morning...

I did NOT want to go for a run this morning. I felt tired. I felt sluggish. I just wanted to go back to bed. I made the mistake of putting my Kinvara 2s on. They dragged me out the door. Stupid shoes!

Since I was on the street, I ran. I didn't run hard though. My shoes couldn't make me do that. I ran a nice easy pace, not pushing it at all. I ran Dan M.'s "ILY" route in slow motion. When I got back to the house, I felt good enough to do another lap.

I ran at the same snail's pace for the second lap. When I got back to the house, I was close to 40 minutes, so I decided to run till I hit that time. It was a block later that I hit "Stop" on my Garmin and walked back to the house. (garmin data)


After my run, I changed into my cycling gear and headed out for a ride. I rode to Dan M.'s house to see if he was up. His bike was there, but there was no sign of the man. I waited for a few minutes before heading out.

When I turned onto Sixth Street, I encountered a line of cross country runners from my daughters' school. They were out putting in their base mileage before the beginning of the season. I yelled and cheered for them as I rolled past.

On Country Club Road I encountered a pleasant surprise. The road was repaved! It wasn't the smoothest surface ever, but it was an improvement over the old pavement! I rode past a couple of women who were walking up the hill. My "good morning" startled them.

When I got to Lake Road, I decided to cross over it and take in the nasty little hills that I'm sure the cross country team loves! I sped down them and stood to sprint up them. On the second set of downs and ups, I encountered a very "friendly" dog who wanted to make sure I heard his greeting. I talked nicely to him and he calmed down a bit.

I rode out to the end of the paved portion of Country Club, turned around and raced back. As I was coming down the first hill, my legs were about to fly off. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any more power when my legs were spinning at over 100rpm! I looked down. Silly me! I was in my little chain ring! I shifted to the big ring and adjusted the back cassette and everything felt right again. My second trip through the rollers was dog-free and I went over 30mph on each descent.

When I got back to Lake Road, I did what any sensible person would do. I went to the lake! I passed the lady runners again. This time I cheered them on after I was past them so that they wouldn't jump out of the skin. Skinless people are kind of messy! I did a lap around the lake enjoying more new pavement! The county boys have been busy!

Leaving the lake, I took the turn north and rode up to the highway to come back to town. I enjoyed the wind at my back and my mood was changing. I didn't feel sluggish any more. I felt alive! I turned at Wal-Mart to take Sixth Street back to Country Club Road. I sped past the ball diamonds and the trailer court before taking one more turn north onto the last paved section of Country Club. I rode to the highway, turned west, climbed the hill and rode myself home. (garmin data)

Almost immediately after dismounting and hanging my bike on the wall, I grabbed my pull up bar and did three sets of hanging leg lifts. My best set to date was the 15 I did a couple of weeks ago. Today, I flew through 20 on my first set. That success gave me the boldness to do two more sets of 20 for a total of 60. The second and third sets weren't as easy, but I did them. Take that, day!

No comments: