Saturday, June 30, 2012

Over 300...

I had one goal today: to break 300 miles for the week! I woke up at 6:00 without an alarm and got on my bike as quickly as I could. I had to be back at the house by 7:30 to take my daughter to an activity at the church.

I rode out onto the highway to see which way the wind was blowing. It wasn't blowing much so I decided I'd ride west and see what there was to see. What I saw was another cyclist. At first I thought it was Dan M. I yelled his name! No reaction. I pressed my legs into action and chased the rider ahead. It took quite a bit of effort, but I finally reeled him in as I passed the Kwik Shop on the edge of town. It was not Dan. I would never have caught Dan. Instead, it was Mike, a cyclist I met and rode with once last summer.

I slowed down and rode with him. It took me awhile I catch my breath, but eventually I was able to carry on a conversation with my new old friend. We rode out toward Coats talking about Dan and the Tour and whatever else came to mind.

When I'd ridden 12 miles, we turned around and headed for home. The pace picked up considerably with the wind at our backs. It was nice to ride nice and easy at 18-20mph.

When we got back into town, we took the highway all the way to Champa where I veered off to go home and Mike continued on his way back home as well. I rode up to the house at 7:33. Everyone was already awake.

After a brief rest, I went out south of town to get the last of the miles I needed to break 300 for the month. I met a couple of dogs along the way, one behind an invisible fence. I love those things!

I rode out to 30th turned and rode west over to Highway 281 and took it south for awhile. When I was seven plus miles from home, I turned around and rode back. Instead of turning at 30th, I followed the highway into town and enjoyed the plunge down into the city limits. From there, I zigged and zagged my way back to the house. (garmin data)

No comments: