Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oops! Too far...

My eyes popped open at 4:40 this morning. I was wide awake! I got out of bed, shut off my alarm clock and headed for the garage. I wanted to go for a ride.

The first problem I encountered was a major lighting issue. Some idiot forgot to plug the battery in last night, so it wasn't recharged. I had to go to "Plan B" or go back to bed. I wasn't about to do that, so out came the Knuckle Lights.

I got ready and left the house a little before 5:00. Rolling through the city, the Knuckle Lights did alright. There were moments when I couldn't see as well as I'd like to, but I didn't hit anything and no one hit me.

When I got out of town, the much dimmer light that comes from the Knuckle Lights became a bit of a nuisance. Keeping my hands in the same place forever wasn't very comfortable either. Grrrrr! I hate it when I forget to recharge my good lights! Less than an hour into the ride, I was able to turn off the Knuckle Lights and see by the light of the rising sun. Yippee!

My plans were to ride to Coats, over to Sawyer and then back home. I followed the plan all the way to Sawyer. Then I looked at my time and thought I had time to ride over to the Isabel road and take it north to the highway. I was wrong! It's a lot further over there than I thought! I added about 20 miles to my ride instead of the 8 or 9 I thought I was adding. Of course, I didn't figure this out until I came out on the highway 10 miles from home.

What do you do when you've ridden 40 miles and you're 10 miles from home? You ride home. I made it back just before 8:00. That was much later than I expected. I cleaned up quickly and dove into the day's work as soon as I could. (garmin data)

No comments: