Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Easy intervals, hard intervals...

I saw someone at 5:30 this morning I never thought I'd see that early: my wife! I was getting ready to run and she came out and said she was thinking about running. That doesn't happen...not ever! I decided then and there that I was going to wait to run with her. I was an event I wasn't about to miss.

While I was waiting for her to get ready, I did the first seven sets of my 100 push ups workout. She left for her warm up walk when I had two sets to go. I did them and then walked the opposite direction to meet her. My timing was impeccable. I met her and turned around just as her podcast said it was time to run.

Her workout consisted of three minutes running followed by a ninety second walk followed by five minutes running and a longer walk before repeating it all. The goal for both three minute runs is a quarter mile. My wife ran .30 miles both times. The five minute runs are supposed to yield a half mile. I didn't watch the distance on the first one, but she was at .48 miles on the second. It was a good solid workout for her.

When she was done, she sent me on to run a bit more. I ran around the corner and decided to do another set of intervals at my speed. I did three sets of quarter mile sprints followed by quarter mile easy runs. After the third recovery, I ran a hard half mile and then cooled down for another half mile before stopping to walk. I felt pretty good about that workout. I was able to keep my pace down under 7:00 for most of the quarter mile sprints and I was in the low sevens for the half mile. It was good to do some speed work. I hadn't done anything like this in a long while. (garmin data)

No comments: