Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I don't forget it...


I have ADHD. Seriously! I went to a neuropsychologist, went through a battery of IQ, educational and psychological tests to find out. I’m on medication now, but there are still moments when I am thoughtless or way too impulsive. The little white and red capsules haven’t taken away my ability to forget stuff either. I forget the trivial and not-so-trivial.

I am an obsessive cyclist and runner. Comes with the territory, I guess. I do stuff that keeps me on the edge. I’m mostly safe, but occasionally, I do dumb stuff. Never had any really close calls. Not really.

A few years ago, I bought one of the popular emergency ID bands so that if my inattention to the world around me got me into a serious medical emergency, the ambulance crew would at least know who to call for info.

I wore that thing on every ride for a month or two, but then I started forgetting to put it on. It just slipped out of my pre-ride or pre-run ritual. I remembered once or twice a week, but much of the time I was ID-less.

Earlier this year, I was introduced to the 1BandID, a newcomer to the market. I ordered a bright orange one with my contact info on it. Less than a week later, it arrived in the mail and I put it on my GPS band. The installation was quick and easy. Wrap the band around the band and the Velcro does its job. I tried it on the short side first. Didn’t work for me. Tried it on the other side. Perfect!

I have not gone for a ride or a run without ID since my 1BandID arrived. (I’m kind of compulsive about my data, you know. Hyperfocus. Gotta love it!) I simply won’t ever leave this one behind.

I still occasionally put on my other band if I’m going on an exceptionally long run or ride because it has the online medical records option in addition to my contact info. Of course, I still have my 1BandID on. The GPS is on my wrist!

GIVEAWAY: Jon was the winner of the drawing for a @1BandID held on Wednesday, March 14 at 5:00am. A big thank you goes to Joe at 1BandID for making this contest possible and making a great product.
Post a Comment