Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New lunacy...

It started last week, this new lunacy. I decided suddenly to start doing push ups and sit ups to strengthen my core in preparation for the Run for Missions 100-Miler in November. Having completed one 50K before I know that it's the abs that hurt the most after an ultra.

My initial push had me doing 25 push ups and 25 sit ups everyday. I did that for five days, then yesterday morning decided to kick it up a notch. I clicked on over to HundredPushups.com and started in on their seven week program. If all goes according to plan, I'll be able to do 100 consecutive push ups on June 1. I did five sets of push ups yesterday for a total of 45.

I was going to stick with 25 sit ups a day. Really, I was. Then I discovered - thanks to my daughter's investigation - TwoHundredSitups.com. How could I resist? I needed something to do on the days I wasn't doing push ups, right? I did 40 in my initial test which means I'm supposed to be able to skip to week 3, but I'm not going there. I'll start from the beginning and work my way up to 200 by May 31.

My schedule's set. I'm doing my push ups on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Sit ups will be on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Want to join in the fun? Visit the websites. Do the initial tests. Get with it!

P.S. There may be a giveaway related to this post in the near future.

2 comments:

Papamev said...

Yeah I've been wanting to start this push up program for some time. Reading this has inspired me. So, I shall be starting the push ups tomorrow and sit ups the next day. I also would like to give the pull up program a try. The 4th of July the USMC has a thing at the fireworks that if you can do 20 pull ups you get this neat USMC football. I'd love for this 42 year old ex-USAF guy to show them up and get a cool football for my 10 year old.

Unknown said...

I'm giving away the "7 Weeks to 100 Pushups" book! http://openmikey.blogspot.com/2012/09/drop-and-give-me-100.html