Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Back at it...

I'm not sure why I took last week off or why I didn't run yesterday, but it was definitely time to get back at it this morning. I'm never going to be able to run 100 miles in a day if I don't start increasing my volume. Ugh! It's so miserable running when it's 77 degrees with high humidity. I almost drown!

I woke up at 5:20 and headed out the door about fifteen minutes later. I figured I had time for four or five miles, so I headed east on School and made my way up to Maple to run over to Highway 61. I passed a couple out walking their dogs just before the highway. I ran over to the other side of the street so I wouldn't startle them. When they saw me pass they offered a cheery hello. I returned it and ran on.

I ran south down 61, then turned onto 54 and ran east to Fincham where I turned south again to run down to Sixth. I streetlight at Sixth was out as I approached the intersection, but turned on just as I was about to step into a manhole. Perfect timing! I avoided a potential trip to the asphalt.

I ran across town to Main Street, enjoying myself as much as one can while running. I turned north on Main and ran up the sidewalks. At 54, I had to stop to wait on cross traffic before running on. The motor carrier inspector was waiting there for some poor unsuspecting trucker. He paid no attention to me darting across the road and running on.

Running up the sidewalk I kept a sharp eye out for uneven concrete and ill-parked vehicles. Some guy had parked his pickup across the sidewalk at one point, so I had to run out into the street for a short time. I rejoined the sidewalk and ran on up to Maple.

On Maple I ran east to the church, then turned south on Lawrence. I ran down Lawrence crunching my feet on the new chip-n-seal surface and ran around the weird angles of School/Cambridge/Manor/Edgeford to home where I stopped.

I've cooled down now and really need to get ready for the day quickly. I'm taking my daughter to Hutchinson to shadow a pediatrician. (garmin data)

No comments: