Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Staying close to home...

When I woke up this morning, the sidewalks and streets were moist. It's been so long since we got any rain that I wasn't sure what had caused this wetness. I knew I hadn't left sprinklers on. Turns out, we got a half inch of rain overnight.

I dressed and headed out the door only to discover the air was electric. Flashes of lightning off to the west made me think twice about running. I thought once. I thought twice. I thought three times and left my driveway. I figured if I ran around the blocks close to home the whole time, I wouldn't get too wet or too electrocuted.

I ran up and down the streets, through parking lots, over little streams, dodging puddles all the way. My left foot was hurting again, but not as badly as it did last week. I'm pretty sure I have a bone out of place. Perhaps a trip to the chiropractor is in order.

After a brief pit stop at the 5K mark, I decided to begin my build up for the Run for Missions 100-miler (www.runformissions.org) this fall by increasing my time out by five minutes each day. That meant I needed to run at least 50 minutes this morning. I zigged and zagged for another 22 minutes after my break and reached my time goal close to home. I walked for 10 minutes or so to cool down before going in. I was still dripping with sweat when I finished. 78% humidity. Ugh! At least it was a cool 68 degrees. (garmin data)

No comments: