Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Just ask...

Solomon was given wisdom by God that surpassed that of all men in his day. God gave discernment to David’s son because he asked for it, choosing it above wealth and fame and victory. God was pleased with his request and made Bathsheba’s son wiser than any other.

The same God who gave Solomon wisdom in his day gives wisdom today. You don’t have to be a king to get it either.

Here’s what James wrote about God’s willingness to give wisdom to those who need it: “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.” (James 1:5-8)

I was talking with a friend about this passage a few years back. I urged her to ask for wisdom in a particularly difficult situation she was facing. She seemed skeptical. “After I’ve prayed, how do I know what God wants me to do?” she asked.

I believe God gave me the response and I know it’s true. “You’ve asked God for wisdom,” I said. “He promises to give it when you ask. Why would the ideas you come up with after you’ve asked not be his if you’re submitted to him and seeking his guidance?”

It makes sense, doesn’t it, that God would give wisdom to her when she asked. If he wasn’t willing, why would he have inspired James to pen his promise?

To those who lack wisdom, God says ask. He promises to give it generously without finding fault. Why would you not ask today?

No comments: