Thursday, January 26, 2012

This is me...

A friend posted a list of 20 questions and answered them about himself. He then challenged me to do the same. I guess this will serve as my get to know me better post.

1) What is one of your favorite ways to spend a Saturday?

I like to sleep in a bit if I get the chance. Doesn’t always happen. Then I love going for a run or a ride alone or with my wife or a friend. After that, whatever presents itself is good with me. My wife usually has something planned.

2) List your top three favorite TV shows.

I don’t watch TV much. Hardly at all, really. My favorites are a bit older than most people’s probably. I love watching a couple of classics: Emergency and Get Smart. I also enjoy the more recent show, Monk. Adrian makes me laugh out loud.

3) Would you rather be in pictures or take them?

I love seeing pictures of me doing things I love, but most of the time I’m behind the camera. My children roll their eyes at me when I point and shoot, but they complain if they can’t find any pictures of themselves in an activity. They’ve each been tagged in thousands of pictures on Facebook. That’s not an exaggeration. I take loads of pictures.

4) Why do you blog?

My profile says it all. I blog to stay sane and drive others insane. I like provoking thought and instigating silliness. Kind of fun to keep track of life too. (I sometimes post anonymously as Ekim Trefien.)

5) Share five websites you visit regularly.

Facebook: This is where I keep up with my family and a few hundred friends. I’m part of a couple of runners’ groups. My favorite is the Idiots Running Club. Hilarious stuff happens there. I use Facebook to broadcast stuff about my church, too.

Twitter: I follow a lot of athletes – famous and not so famous – on Twitter. Not many of my family or close friends are on the site. I get a bit sillier here than I do on Facebook. Gotta keep my reputation clean.

dailymile: I keep track of all my workouts on this great social network for athletes. I’m a member of the blog team and do my best to be an encourager on the site. It was through the prompting of friends on dailymile that I took up running. I hope they don’t get me into triathlons.

Klout: I have no idea why I find this site so interesting. My score stays the same all the time. It doesn’t even measure my influence on Facebook yet. Still I check in here a couple of times each day and hand out +Ks to my friends.

YouTube: I have a YouTube channel and I’m always using it to find old songs to listen to. I also watch silly stuff and great athletic exploits. Occasionally, I post a self-made movie.

6) If you could have lunch with one person from your Twitter list who would it be?

That’s a tough one. There are a half dozen people I’d like to meet. I really want to get together with several members of the dailymile team, so I can pick the team profile, right? That covers all of them. Don’t ask me to narrow it down any further.

7) List a few of your favorite snacks.

I really like Frito’s Corn Chips. I suppose because they remind me of my grandma. She always had them on hand when I visited her house as a kid. They’re pretty good with chili too. Popcorn and gummi worms are probably my more frequent snacks.

8 ) Do you have a pet?

No pets in the family. Had a few dogs and cats growing up. Killed off several fish when my kids were young. Nothing but humans right now. They’re all staying alive.

9) Which three material possessions would you struggle to live without?

I’m pretty sure I’d struggle without a car, but what I’d really miss if they were gone are my two bikes. Cato, my road bike, and Floyd, my mountain bike, are my main means of transportation since my family steals the cars every morning.

10) What’s your favorite drink?

I love Pepsi. Hate Coke! One time when I was in the Atlanta airport on my way home from overseas, I struck up a conversation with an Atlantan. Just for fun, I said, “What I really want to know is this: Where can I get a Pepsi around here?” Her eyes narrowed as she snarled, “Go to hell!” True story! Atlantans are serious about their soft drinks.

11) Do you enjoy cooking?

I do. I fix breakfast every morning during the school year and help or prepare many suppers year round. My wife doesn’t like to cook, so I do more than some men. I’m make a mean oatmeal waffle.

12) Do you have children?

Yes, three daughters. One in junior high. One in high school. One in college. They are awesome, each in their own way!

13) What are your favorite hobbies?

I love to run and ride my bikes. I like to blog and snoop around on social networks. I enjoy writing in my spare time and reading too.

14) Would you consider yourself shy or outgoing?

I’m pretty outgoing, but I tend to feel nervous in new groups. I can get pretty wound up when I’m around close friends who don’t care how I act. After 3:00AM, I go crazy!

15) If you could change one thing about yourself, what would you change?

I wish I wasn’t so easily distracted. I have trouble focusing on what people are saying at times and I struggle to stay focused at work. I’ve learned lots of tricks, but I’m still a work in progress.

16) Who is your favorite actor/ actress?

I like Will Smith and most of his movies. He seems to get into fun or well-done films. I did NOT like Seven Pounds! Don’t really have a favorite actress.

17) What’s the coolest thing you’ve done this week?

I’m going to cheat and take something from last week. Last Tuesday, I made a backward shot from half court. Banked it in! The kids watching from the lunch room cheered!

18) Do you live near your family or far from them?

I suppose it depends on how you define near or far. I’m within 10 hours of all my siblings. My mom and dad are about six hours away. My in-laws are close except for my wife’s sister who lives on the east coast. My extended family is far flung.

19) List three of your talents.

I can clap with one hand. It’s a family trait. You’re not a real Neifert if you can’t master this skill. I can play the trombone and enjoy sitting in with the pep band at my daughter’s high school. I enjoy graphic design, though I’m far from professional.

20) What is your greatest attribute?

I am friendly. I can carry on a conversation with just about anyone. My daughters think I’m crazy when I start talking it up with people in line at Wal-Mart. I can’t help it.

4 comments:

Vetrunnah said...

Very cool, I forgot about Wil Smith, he is near the top of my list too. It is amazing when others right their stuff down that you think of things that you would like to change on your list. :-)

K Maul said...

Great 'get to know you' blog... Thank you for sharing!

Ara said...

Very cool. I like getting to know you. Do you mind if I take these questions & put them on my blog (http://triing2survive.wordpress.com)?

Unknown said...

Reposting the questions on your own site is sort of the point. Go for it, Ara!