Monday, January 30, 2012

Suicide in Ann's community...

Every day I tell my family and friends what a great life I have. Not every day is perfect but it is always filled with the people I love, a job that I never imagined I would have, and a network of friends that I never imagined I would have.
But fifteen years ago, I couldn’t see any of this. I didn’t know what the future held. All I knew was that I was in pain. I was hurting and though I had many of the same family and friends I have today, for some reason they were all blind to the pain I was suffering. If you had asked them they might tell you my temper was a little shorter than it had been, that I looked a little more tired than I had been and maybe they noticed that I had stopped doing most of the things I loved to do.
What they wouldn’t tell you then and probably still wouldn’t share with you today was that I was suicidal. They wouldn’t tell you how I drove my car down the road trying to figure out how to wreck it in a way that would guarantee my death without anybody knowing it was actually suicide.
Luckily, one person did step in to help me. A girl I worked with, who happened to be my husband’s cousin, realized I was nearing my end and took me to the doctor.
(Read more of Ann's story.)

No comments: