Monday, January 31, 2011

10.00 miles in 1:30:18

today was supposed to be the first day of three-a-week runs with Andrew K., but he called me at 10:20 last night and asked me to cover for him on ems since he needed to take his pregnant wife to the hospital. she's due any day now, so i said, "go!" and hung up. what else do you do when a friend needs help?

anyway, that call meant i would be running alone this morning. i left the house around 5:30 and ran a lap around my scotty dog route. at the end of that lap, i was feeling a bit uncomfortable, so i stopped in for a pit stop.

my business taken care of, i went out for another run around the dog. this one was actually a bit faster than the first. by a bit, i mean 3 seconds. that's a bit in my book. what about yours?

after this second lap, i stopped in to make sure people were getting up and to mix up some baked oatmeal for breakfast. the best thing about baked oatmeal, besides its delicious taste, is its baking time. when i put it in the oven around 6:15, i had 35 minutes to run before it could possibly be done. i took most of that time completing two consecutive loops of good ol' scotty. these two laps brought me to just over 6 miles and made me very tired.

i went in to check on breakfast and there were about 20 seconds left on the timer i'd set. i checked the baked oatmeal and gave it another four minutes before setting it on the table for everyone to eat. well, almost everyone. my youngest decided today was a good day to run a fever, so she was back in bed.

i ate breakfast and then headed out one more time. i'd done the math in my head and knew i could get 10 miles in with another double lap around the dog, so that's what i set out to do. these last two laps were painful, but not as painful as the end of the solid 10-miler i did on saturday. i was slow and plodding, especially on the second half of the last lap. it was ugly.

i came back around to my start/stop point and needed another tenth of a mile or so to make 10 miles, so i turned north and ran until my garmin alert beeped again. ten miles. done.

No comments: