Thursday, January 6, 2011

testing the bar mitts

i took my bar mitts - www.barmitts.com - out for a test ride this morning. they performed marvelously. i was disappointed that it was 31 degrees. temps in the teens is why i bought these things. why'd it have to warm up?

i left on my first out and back of the morning around 6:45 after running with my new partner, Andrew K. i pulled on my thermal gloves for this (almost) 14-miler. inside the bar mitts, my fingers and, more importantly, my thumbs stayed warm. it took some time to get used to the positioning options which were greatly reduced by the tight quarters, but all in all, i was well pleased.

after breakfast, i went out again. this time i intentionally took a step down in the glove department. i opted for my cotton liners under fingerless gloves. i kept my hands in the bar mitts for most of this (almost) 10-miler and, though my fingers and thumbs got a bit colder than they did in thermal gloves, they never got to the painful stage.

not much to report as far as the ride in general. same old, same old. it was dark and cold. i rode out and back to the west because the wind was blowing from that direction. what else can i say? (23.84 miles @ 15.0mph)

No comments: