Saturday, December 18, 2010

3.19 miles in 28'07"

i finished watching the ironman world championships and felt like running, so i did. i took care of unloading the clothes dryer, reloading it and starting the last load of laundry and then dressed for the cold. my daughter told me it was 38F, but when i was dressed and ready i checked it and found that it was actually 34F. i wasn't sure i was going to be warm enough in what i had on, but my tights were still on the drying rack, so i went out anyway.

the back of my right leg felt tight from the very beginning of this run. i was hoping it would loosen up as i put some distance on it, but it didn't. the "twinge" stayed, so i just took it easy.

i hadn't run all the way around town in awhile, so that's what i took a stab at. when i neared the southwest part of the north side of the tracks i was harassed by a pack of wild dogs. i had to threaten to kick the chihauhau twice before it backed off. grrrrr! stupid brutes! after i'd shaken them, i continued on around the outermost streets, enjoying the easy pace.

headed north on main after completing the south side of town, i decided i wanted to take in an extra mile. i hadn't done anything longer than a 5K for a long time and i felt good enough to do four even with the slight irritation in my hamstring. i settled on this plan and took a slightly different route to avoid the house and the temptation to call it quits.

i was just a block or so into my planned fourth mile when a "bear" started chasing me. i was not happy. grrrr! why does this happen when i'm ready to take on another mile?

so rather than finish out my 4-mile plan, i turned and ran home to shake the bear. maybe next time my run will be a long, critter-free jaunt.

No comments: