Monday, December 6, 2010

i survived the cold

when i woke up at 2:15 this morning and checked the argonia weather lab online, i knew my ride wasn't going to be the best ever. it was 16 degrees at the time, a full four degrees colder than predicted. when i got up for good at 5:10, it had dropped two degrees to 14. the thermometer was pretty much stuck there for most of my ride. it finally got up to 15 by the time i got home.

riding in the teens requires a high capacity for pain. by the time i was done with my first hour of riding, my thumbs both hurt and my toes were screaming. don't know if you've ever heard screaming toes. it's not pleasant.

it took me all of my breakfast break to get warmed up and then, stupid me, i went out again. an hour of torture wasn't enough. i needed more. this time i rode for about 45 minutes. still my digits were protesting loudly when i pulled back into my driveway at ride's end.

i'm pretty pleased really. my mileage was twice the temperature and my average speed was, all things considered, fairly decent. i survived and i zapped the zero! that's worth something. (28.06 miles @ 15.2mph)

No comments: