Tuesday, December 28, 2010

thick fingers and numb toes

standing out in the cold for a half hour before riding is not good for your toes or fingers. trust me on this one. i did it this morning waiting for two of my daughters and their friends to leave on a trip to colorado. the result was extremely cold upper and lower digits. the fingers on my right hand felt thick and sluggish by the time i was done. i suppose no one is especially shocked by this since it was between 21 and 26 degrees during the three hours i was out in the elements. brrrrr! makes me shiver just thinking about it again.

the ride itself was fairly enjoyable. i was able to push a bit harder today than i've been able to over the past few days. my legs were cold, but not overly so. they cranked out a decent cadence on the way out and an even better one on the way back. my speed climbed from a 13.8mph average at the turn around up to a 15.1mph average at ride's end.

i thought about going out on a run when i got back, but my numb toes and the predicted high of 50 won the argument against it. (34.70 miles @ 15.1mph)

No comments: