Saturday, December 18, 2010

catching adil

i am thankful for several things this morning. i am thankful that i woke up at 4:05 so i could go on a long ride. i am thankful that coyotes sound eerie, but don't attack. i am thankful that neither of the two dogs that chased me in the dark were hungry enough to chase me further than the edge of their property. i am thankful for my dailymile friends and that i was not "racing" chris f. or abhishek r. or venkatachalam r. or roopak s. this week. (i am a little suspicious about the 916 miles that chris f. shows on my leaderboard, however. i may have to have Ben W. look into that. it appears to be a glitch since chris f. only shows 58 miles on his profile.) i am thankful i didn't know until more than halfway through my ride that this "mega loop" was 68 miles instead of the 63 i expected. i am thankful it didn't snow very much while i was out and about. i am thankful for an elevation chart that my friend steve s. in california will have to respect...a little! almost 1000 feet of gain in kansas! i am thankful, too, for summer. it was frigid out there today! it took me nearly two hours to warm up enough to type this! 26F (-3C) is not my favorite temperature for riding 70 miles. i would prefer 70F (21C). i'm just saying what i'd like. not complaining. you understand.

i'm most thankful for adil g. he, as always, proved to be a worthy opponent this week. he rode extra on wednesday or thursday, putting himself further ahead of me than i thought i could possibly overcome. if i had not ridden for more than 4 hours in sub-freezing temps, i'd never have caught him. when i reached 64 miles, i tipped my hat to my friend. i kept it "tipped" for a whole mile. chapeau, adil!

oh! i'm really thankful for a wife who asks if i want to ride 30 miles later today to get to 100 miles. she's so good to (sort of) put up with my obsession. (70.14 miles @ 15.5mph)

No comments: