Friday, October 15, 2010

3.00 miles in 25'05"

i wanted to get one more run in before my busy weekend, so i headed out after work for a single circuit around town. what was supposed to be a pleasant workout became a sufferfest. this loop was not enjoyable at all.

it started immediately. i pushed it up pine street toward the school. my legs felt like lead and it felt like i was breathing through a plastic bag. my lungs heaved as my heart pounded out the time. it was all i could do to keep going after only five blocks. i didn't want to, but i ran on anyway.

i never got to that point where i felt better. i just made my feet do what they are supposed to do. left. right. left. right. left. right.

i must've looked like death warmed over to my running friends. i passed two of them. jon jumped out of his car as i shuffled by. "this is not fun today," i said. he laughed as he headed for the house. i saw jean on main street when i raised my slumping head. i might have attempted a wave hello. not sure. that might've tipped me over.

when i got to main and garfield, i urged myself on. i had to coach myself like i did my wife last night. run harder. it's just three blocks more. two blocks. now push it! one block!

done.

No comments: