Saturday, October 23, 2010

3.00 miles in 29'15"

i had a half hour break between my puking 10K and the 3 miler that was planned for the grand opening of go run wichita. i drank several glasses of water and ate something light during that time and was feeling a lot better when 7:30 rolled around.

we all left the store and gathered in the parking lot for a group picture. (sure wish i had one of those shots!) we also, with a little prompting, said a few phrases for what i assume will be a future go run tv ad.

with that out of the way, we headed north on maize toward 29th. i warned the barefoot runner behind me not to run in the grass along the path. i didn't want him stepping in puke unawares.

i felt great for the first mile or so. i was still with the group when we turned into the fox ridge housing development. i talked with a couple of guys and kept my feet moving.

when we hit 1.5 miles, we turned around and headed back. that's when the earlier hard effort started kicking my rear! i slowed a little at first, then more and more.

we turned south out of the housing development and the wind hit me full in the face. that did not help things. (i'm not sure about runners now. cyclists would ride into the wind first then turn around and let the wind assist the ride back. runners run with the wind at their backs first. i like my runner friends, but the jury's still out on their wisdom. i won't say more.)

bryan dropped back and jogged with me. it was nice to have company as i suffered. misery loves company! it's true!

we made it back to the store and i stopped my watch at 29'15". not sure if the mileage was exact, but 3 miles was planned, so i'm counting them.

we hung out and ate bagles for awhile. i put my entry for a drawing into the hopper at the store. i talked with a few people and finished off my gatorade. about 8:30 or so bryan and i dragged ourselves to his car and headed back to wellington. (i should say that bryan may not have dragged himself back to the car, but it felt better to imagine him in as much pain as me.)

a little after 9:00, bryan dropped me off. after a stop at wal-mart for an energy drink, i drove home and showered.

No comments: