Monday, October 25, 2010

6.27 miles in 54'27"

i started out running at a pace much more within my range than i had on saturday. i stayed close to my redline, but did not push past it at any point.

i finished my first three mile loop in just over 26 minutes, so i knew the goal was within reach. i didn't get too excited though. i just kept my pace while i endured the strong south wind in my face. it was only when i turned back north that i risked a bit of a speed up.

with the wind at my back, i flew back into the heart of downtown argonia and around the west side. i ran up past the grade school and rounded the corner toward home. i past the house at 52'05" and knew that i needed at least a lap around the block to complete my 10K. i really picked up my pace. my eldest daughter who was in the front yard came out and ran most of that last lap with me. she only faded as i pushed myself to the redline on the last block. i hit pine and vine and stopped my watch. my time: 54'27".

i nervously went in and logged on to dailymile. i mapped my route carefully. when i was done, my heart leapt for joy! i'd done it! after a little over two and half months of training and 240 miles, i finally met my goal! i, of course, want to do even better in next sunday's race, but it feels good to have made it to this "finish line" of sorts. one second per mile isn't much of a margin of victory, but it was enough today. i beat the skinny kid's 10K time! i am pumped!

No comments: