Monday, October 18, 2010

keeping the bike happy

my bike was pouting when i went out to the garage to take him for a spin this evening. he thought i had forgotten him since i'd run twice today and the daylight hours were quickly slipping away. he snapped out of it once i clicked in and started turning the pedals. all was forgiven.

unfortunately, the wind was not nearly as kind. it fought me tooth and nail for the first 8.5 miles. my average to that point was a mere 13.1mph. it was awful.

the next eight or nine miles were a little better. the wind was coming at me from the side, so i was sheltered from it by the occasional bank of trees or a farm building near the road. i turned south in conway springs averaging 14.1mph.

all the suffering into the wind paid off. i practically flew down conway springs road to highway 160. with little effort, i cruised along at 22mph. my average increased incredibly to 16.3mph. not overly fast unless you consider my start.

i gained another half mile per hour on the final stretch. the wind was just enough against me for the seven miles home that i couldn't gain much speed. i just kept spinning the pedals, pushing the beam of my headlight closer and closer to home.

i turned onto pine street just before 8:00, glad to have been out on the highways and byways, but just as happy to be home since my right hamstring was aching just a bit. nothing serious, i'm sure. just a little soreness that a bit of massage will work out.

really happy with my day's workouts - both runs and this ride. great to be able to get out while it's nice out. (30.52 miles @ 16.8mph)

No comments: