Thursday, October 7, 2010

a first

there's a first time for everything. today a cattle hauler slowed down and waited for another car to pass in the opposite direction before proceeding cautiously around me. that has never happened before. not to me anyway. maybe somewhere in the universe it's occured in the past, but never near me. bull wagons usually pass at full speed right next to me if another car is coming the other direction. occasionally they go full speed past me on the other side of the rode if the other lane is open. only once - and it happened today - has one ever slowed down and eased around me.

"thank you, mr. trucker. i don't know your name, but i love you!"

i posted my bike route this morning to prove to some of my skeptics that i do indeed have a few routes that aren't straight as a pin. this "pin" was a bent one. i intended to ride about 28 miles this morning, but accidentally got in 30. i would've turned around at 14 miles out, but there was a car coming from behind me and i couldn't quite figure out where it was since i was on a curve, so i waited a mile to do my 180.

the ride out and back were pretty uneventful with the exception of the aforementioned livestock-laden vehicle incident mentioned above. my intent was to take it easy and i did. (30.29 miles @ 16.4mph)

No comments: