Saturday, September 4, 2010

2.39 miles in 28'35"

after running 10K with my daughter, i grabbed a bite to eat and then went running with my wife. she needed to run twenty-eight minutes (after a five-minute walking warm up) to complete the last workout of the eighth week of her couch to 5K plan.

we walked up to the entrance of camp quaker and started walking down the hill while our warm up time passed. just before reaching the bottom of the hill, the podcast told her it was time to start running, so we jogged to the flats and then headed out into the meadows along the arkansas river.

since it was later in the morning, the temps had risen a bit and we got a bit warm as we ran. we hit the halfway point, but did not turn around. my wife did NOT want to run up the hill, so we kept going another four minutes to 91st before making our u-turn.

we ran back toward the camp and reached the end of the time needed just before a curve in the road. we decided to keep going to the curve so we'd be able to measure our distance on google maps without too much trouble. my wife took off at a sprint. i followed along. i didn't have an ounce of extra umph in me after running 6.28 miles earlier and then two plus. so she won! it was great!

from the corner, we walked back to the camp and then, finally, i hit the shower. figured i didn't need to be smelly for more than one meal.

when i finished cleaning up, i walked over and watched my daughters put the finishing touches on their sand castle. they ended up winning their age division. it was a pretty cool scale model of noah's ark.

i had a great morning. after lunch, my legs were sore so i went back to our cabin to rest for a bit. i ended up sleeping for a while. after my nap, i went out and walked 18 holes of disc golf with two of my daughters, my mother-in-law and a few friends. another good workout which left my legs barely able to function when i pulled back into my driveway tonight.

i'm hope to preach in the morning, then i'll head back to the camp for the rest of the weekend. have a great labor day!

No comments: