Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Who would Jesus hate?

I got on Facebook to update my status and make sure the church's page was up to date, but forgot to look at the latter when I ran across the following status a friend had posted.

"The latest idiot in the news is a Florida preacher who wants to burn the Koran. Another is the idiot preacher Phelps who celebrates our soldiers’ deaths during their funerals. They are brothers in a dysfunctional family that includes Osama and the Taliban. This family needs to hold a reunion in the path of a lava flow."

I was shocked. I wondered, "Is it okay to express hatred toward those who express hatred? Is that what Jesus would do?"

Don't get me wrong. I disagree with Phelps' actions. I do not believe he is following the Spirit of God. I think burning the Koran is silly. It does nothing but incite anger. It solves nothing. It brings no one to Christ. Sadly, I also disapprove of my friend's lava flow wishes. His words may fit in nicely with the currently popular American "Christian" mindset, but calling for death to be meted out on those with whom we disagree doesn't match up with Jesus' way.

Jesus called us to love our enemies and pray for them. Pray for those who misrepresent Christ's ways. Pray for Fred Phelps and his deluded followers. Pray for this other guy in Florida. Pray for my friend and those who will fall into the trap of hating in Jesus' name because of what he's posted.

God help us all. We have forgotten how to love.

No comments: