Tuesday, September 21, 2010

an inch off

about six miles into this ride, i started wondering if i hadn't set my cyclocomputer wrong. the mileage wasn't coming out right. i was hitting miles before i should be.

i know some of you think this is strange, but after nearly seven years of riding the same routes, i pretty much know how far i've ridden at just about any point in the trip.

i wasn't too worried when i was a few hundreths off at six miles, but my gut was telling me something was not quite right. by the end of the trip when i looked down and saw 16.19 miles i knew in my knower that something was definitely wrong.

i scribbled my numbers in my bike log and then pulled out the measuring tape again. i laid it down in the garage, rotated my tire to the right point and rolled forward one rotation: 82.5 inches. i did it again. same measurement. yesterday, somehow, i'd gotten 83.5 inches. i pulled my cyclocomputer off the bike and reset it to the correct measurement, then came in and figured the correct mileage using dailymile's route mapping.

i'm really glad i caught that right away. well, sort of glad. just think how fast i could've been and how many more miles i could have ridden in the same amount of time each day. (15.93 miles @ 17.2mph)

No comments: