Monday, September 27, 2010

A strange recommendation...

I like to tell people what I'm reading, so I post my book list on Visual Bookshelf on Facebook. (Nevermind that app boxes can't be added to your profile now, so no one knows what I've posted.)

Today, I added Jonathan Acuff's Stuff Christians Like and Ted Dekker's Immanuel's Veins to my "Reading Now" list. Both times Visual Bookshelf generated recommendations for "similar books" I might like. Both times the "similar" book they suggested was Loser/Queen by Jodi Lynn Anderson.
Here's the description of Ms. Anderson's book given to me on Visual Bookshelf:

Cammy Hall is what anyone would describe as a loser. She lives with her grandparents and has adopted their way of life… right down to the comfortable shoes and early bedtime. And can she help it that she actually likes to knit?

At school, her skills with knitting needles and some yarn go completely unappreciated: people like Bekka Bell reign while Cammy and her best friend, the fearless Danish exchange student Gerdi, watch from the sidelines. Cammy's used to being an outsider; after years of humiliating moments, her goal is simply to fly under the radar. Then she suddenly starts receiving mysterious text messages that lead her right to all the embarrassing secrets about the most popular kids in school. Cammy never expected to be able to climb up the high school food chain, and the agenda of the texter may be questionable—but how can she possibly give up the chance to be Queen?

What I'd like to know is how this book is similar in anyway to two completely different books. Stuff Christians Like is a compliation of sarcastic essays written about the crazy stuff people do in the name of Jesus and his Church. Immanuel's Veins is an eerie tale filled with bizarre people who bite people's lips. (I haven't read very far in either of them, maybe they'll both get to the nerdy, American teenager stuff sooner or later, but I have my doubts.)

So what's up with Visual Bookshelf's recommendation generator? I suspect the publisher of Loser/Queen said, "We'll give you loads of money if you constantly push our book." If I add The Count of Monte Cristo to my "Reading Now" list in a couple of weeks and get the same recommendation, swords will be crossed.

No comments: