Monday, September 6, 2010

6.28 miles in 58'24"

this morning i ran the same 10K route that my daughter and i ran saturday. i pushed the pace a bit and felt really good on the way out. i made it to prairie view in under thirty minutes from the base of camp quaker haven, so i was flying compared to saturday's easy jog.

i turned and headed back, still feeling pretty good. it wasn't until i came out from under the tree cover that i began to feel a little odd. i kept going though. i wanted to get a sub-60 minute 10K in.

i hit the base of the climb back up to CQH and increased my effort to make up for the slope of the hill. that, evidently, was a bad idea. about a quarter of the way up the hill, i started feeling nauseous. i kept running hard, trying to ignore my quesy gut. i passed the big rocks on the right and suddenly i knew i wasn't going to keep my stomach under control. i stepped to the side of the road and - how do i say this politely? - heaved. twice.

i stood still for a bit and then continued on. i ran up the hill and then down to the base of CQH again. i stopped my watch when i'd made my complete circuit.

believe it or not, i felt okay from that point on. i got a drink at the water fountain under the pavilion and then walked full circle around the grounds. the longer i walked the better my gut and my body felt.

so there you go. my first non-stop - okay, puking took a couple of seconds - 10K. i still have a bit of improvement to do before the skinny kid cries, "uncle!" but i'm on my way.

No comments: