Thursday, September 2, 2010

legs of lead

my legs were tired today. i could feel it when i got out of bed. lead! i didn't push it hard at all on my ride. not once did i stand. i didn't push it up the hill. i just looked around at what i could see in the still, calmness before dawn. i gazed at the stars. i spotted a skuck with its tail raised. i watched four cars go by. i rode lazy.

i rode out to highway 44, eight miles south of town, then turned around and came back. when i got back to town, i met up with two runner friends. they'd just finished their workout. since i was coming up behind them, i said, "good morning," to warn them of my presence. i didn't want to them to walk out in front of me. jean, the one who talked me into running the 5K in south haven last weekend, put her hand over her heart and said, "you scared me. i thought i was seeing the light." my headlights are pretty bright. keri, her partner, said, "we thought that was your blinking butt we saw earlier." i nearly fell off my seat laughing.

"rudolph the red butt rider;
had a very shiny butt..."

since it wasn't quite 6:30 when i got back to town, i rode up to highway 160 and west a couple of miles. i turned around then and rode home. pulling into the garage, my pedal caught one of my daughter's bikes and knocked it over. i nearly fell too. i had to catch myself on the car.

once my miles were logged, i headed inside for a shower. no running today. i wouldn't make it five blocks. i'll save my legs for the run my daughter wants to do with me over the weekend. i looked at it this morning. it's 10K with hills near the arkansas river. should be fun if i can get the lead out of my legs. (20.60 miles @ 16.1mph)

No comments: