Thursday, November 4, 2010

3.10 miles in 26'34"

it's official: i hate running indoors as much as i hate riding indoors. i was on call with ems today, so the only way i could get in a run was to step onto my wife's dreadmill. i decided to try starting at 6 mph (10 minute pace) and increase my speed 1 mph every half mile up to 10 mph then bring the speed back down 1 mph every minute for my cool down.

things did not go exactly as planned.

the first mile was fine. i ran pretty easily at 6 mph and at 7 mph. no big deal. i finished in 9'18" and pressed the 8 mph button.

my second mile was okay. i ran hard at 8 mph and even harder at 9 mph. as i neared the end of mile 2, i decided that i couldn't tolerate a half mile at 10 mph. i toyed with the idea of doing it for a quarter mile instead. when i started feeling puny, i decided against even that. the counter ticked over to 2 miles at 16'28".

i hit the 8 mph button with my right index finger. no problem. i swung my right arm back and my pinkie caught the cord which was attached to the magnet that allows the dreadmill to operate. the tug created by this motion set the magnet free. the dreadmilll slowed rapidly to a stop. the screen went blank. everything i'd done was erased. i'd run a bit past 2 miles, but all i had locked away in my mind was my 2 mile time.

what's a guy to do when a machine does such stupid things? i decided to run a cool down at 6 and 7 mph. i covered 1.1 miles in 10'06" then caught the stupid cord again. workout erased.

it may be less safe, but i think that if there is a next time on the dreadmill, that cord will be hanging limp from the magnet. it will not be firmly fastened to me. grrrrr!

No comments: