Thursday, November 18, 2010

brrrrrrrrrrr!

one word describes this morning's ride better than any other word could. that one word is brrrrrrrr! when i woke up at 5:30, it was 26 degrees outside. i took 15 minutes to dress for the occasion. double and triple layers take time to pull on. i'm so thankful for thermal tights, balaclavas, skull caps, windproof gloves, shoe covers and warm socks. there's no way i could get out during the winter without them.

after i was finally decked out in my warm apparel, i clicked into my pedals and headed out. i wanted to ride at least 18 miles today to get me up to the 50 mile mark for the week. my day off put me behind, so i had miles to make up.

on the first go round, i only picked up 16 miles. push as hard as i could, i could not gain speed. i ended my first hour of riding at 14.8mph. amazing how slow cold can make me go. at least my fingers and toes didn't fall off.

my second go round - the one that came after breakfast - was a bit better. i still wasn't breaking any land speed records, but my spinning got me up and over drouhard hill a bit quicker than the first time. i covered just over 12 miles, bringing my total mileage up to 28.22. my miles matched the average temperature! i was also able to add a tenth or two to my overall average, ending the ride at 15.1mph.

now to warm up. brrrrrrrrrr! (28.22 miles @ 15.1mph)

No comments: