Monday, November 29, 2010

a pilgrimage cut short

i had two goals for my ride this morning. the first, to #zapthezero, was easy. i rode down my driveway and it was done. the second, to get my miles needed to reach my goal for the year under 800 miles, was just a little harder. i nailed it too. i needed 19 miles. i got 34. another good ride or two today and tomorrow and i'll not have too much trouble reaching 8040 miles. i still have to beat Steve S. there, but that's another issue altogether.

my miles came in two out-and-back rides this morning. the first 20.05 miles were in the dark. i was blown this way and that by the atrocious wind. it was crazy slow going on the way out and not all that fast coming home.

i shed a tear or two at fisher's corner. two skunks and a possum died there. it appeared the possum was guiding his smelly companions northeastward toward sedgwick county park where the striped ones hoped to catch a glimpse of the skunk whisperer, @winston k. it's a shame their pilgrimage was cut short by a speeding semi.

this first ride ended at 6:30. my average speed was a measly 14.8mph.

the second "half" of the morning's mileage came after breakfast. another out-and-back gave me 14.02 more miles. my speed was a bit better. perhaps the sun helped warm my legs so they functioned better. i don't know.

i saw an additional road kill victim, a raccoon smashed on the side of the chicaskia river bridge. perhaps he was a scout for the skunk pilgrims. perhaps a raider seeking to do them harm. either way, he died in his prime. a critter full of vim and vigor. weep for his children, his wife, his other wife, his other children, his bowling buddies. he is no more.

i made it out and back with no problems and no surprises. my average speed gained a half mile per hour reaching a"lofty" 15.3mph. not bad for a windy winter day. (34.07 miles @ 15.3mph)

No comments: