Saturday, November 6, 2010

cold half century

the last time i rode 50 miles or more was august 28. it was 85 degrees and sunny. two months later it is sunny, but almost 50 degrees cooler. it was officially 32 degrees when i started my ride this morning...about 45 when i got back.

i woke up around 5:30 this morning, but went back to sleep for awhile. when i woke up again it was just after 6:00. i got out of bed and did a few things around the house. i didn't want to go out too early since i wasn't sure how much battery time was left in my light, so i didn't even gear up until around 6:45.

it takes awhile to get dressed for the cold. i put on exactly 22 articles of clothing if you include my sunglasses and watch. 22! i looked like a neon ninja, but i was warm.

i finally rolled down my driveway onto pine street just before 7:00. the wind direction was kind of back and forth but mostly from the west, so i turned left onto the highway and headed toward harper.

the first few miles were pretty slow going. my brain was not fully awake and my legs were rebelling. the back of my right hamstring decided to zing me from time to time, so i backed off the accelerator a bit and kept going.

just before the ascent of l'alpe d'anville, i happened to glance at a flag flapping lazily in the breeze. it appeared the wind had switched directions and was now pushing me along. that meant i had a decision to make. to turn around or not to turn around, that was the question. trusting my instincts, i chose not to turn around. i pedaled on toward harper.

the sun was basically up by the time i hit the city limits of harper, so i got a nice view of the town waking up. pickup trucks surrounded the cafe next to the motel. must've been something good inside. made me hungry thinking about it. i pushed harder to get away from the tantalizing smells.

i reached the stop sign on the far side of town and turned south onto highway 14. i had a few more minutes before i needed to turn around and head back. i set my sights on chaparral high school, four and half miles south. i figured the parking lot there would provide a good turn around. i didn't have quite enough time to make it to anthony and continue on around the loop back to argonia. this would have to do.

at almost exactly 1:30, i reached the driveway at chs. i turned in and rode around behind the school then circled back around to the front using the access road on the south side of the building. a quick right turn and a short jaunt east brought me back to the highway.

the beginning of my return journey was quick. the wind was almost directly out of the south and picking up steam. it pushed me along and my speeds jumped up into the upper teens with little effort. i had one close call with a pickup pulling a horse trailer. he passed me so close that the draft off his vehicle actually pushed me over a bit. grrrr!

i made it back to harper and turned east to head home. things were a little busier now. the trucks that were at the cafe were now out on the road. they whizzed past me, giving me and my bike a wide berth. a guy in tights is of at least questionable morals in the eyes of a man in a cowboy hat and dusty jeans. better to steer clear of such a man and his metal steed. works for me. i stay safe that way.

leaving town, i picked up speed. i was glad i hadn't turned around before danville now, because the wind was definitely from the west. it was a friend urging me on instead of a bully pushing me down.

as i approached town, i noticed that i would likely have enough time barring a stupid wind shift to get close to 45 miles before 10:00, the time i had to go back on call with ems. i recalculated every few minutes. i could make it work every time.

when i got back to town, i had just enough time to buzz out to the three-mile mark, morris road, and back and have around 47 miles. i gunned it and shot past pine street, intent on making it out and back in time.

i made it to morris road and turned around with about 17 minutes to get back. just enough time if i could keep my speed over 15mph as i rode into the wind. i lowered my head and willed the bike to higher speeds.

about two miles out of town, i pulled out my cell phone and diald my friend on ems. she answered as i rolled down the slight incline heading toward town. "can you cover for another 20 minutes?" i asked. "i want to get in 50 miles this morning." "of course," was her reply. i have such good friends.

with no concern for time now, i slowed up and rode at an easier pace. i rode west into town, then turned south to ride down to the river and back. i figured that would give me close to what i needed to complete my half century. the wind, my fickle friend, became the bully i had feared earlier. i was barely riding at 12mph most of the way south.

i rode over the river and climbed the short hill up to 20th avenue before turning around and heading back into town. back across the river i went and much higher speeds. i hit 20mph for the first time on this last leg of my trek.

crossing into the city proper, i glanced at my bike computer. i was just over 50 miles. i pedaled up and over railroad hill and turned east on walnut. i followed walnut until i was forced to turn north onto pine. less than a tenth of a mile later, i was home. i rode into the garage and pulled on the brake levers while putting my right foot down.

50.86 miles in 3 hours, 16 minutes and 33 seconds is not my fastest half century, but it'll do. my ride put me over 100 miles for the week, a goal i wasn't sure i could realize a few days ago. my streak remains intact and my yearly target is within sight. just over 1200 miles to go.

No comments: