Thursday, November 11, 2010

3.45 miles in 34'44"

my wife came home from school and we went out for a run. we warmed up by walking to main street and then headed south toward the river park. we were planning to run past the park to 30th street, but when we neared the river park my wife wasn't so sure. i offered a solution.

"you run to the end of the trail and i'll run to 30th and back and catch up with you." she agreed and i started running harder.

i ran over the river and up the hill to 30th and turned around. i ran back to the park and jumped on the trail. just as i was rounding the corner on the back side of the trees, i spotted my wife turning to go back toward main street. i had a lot of catching up to do. i kept my pace steady, but fast as i tried to eat into her lead.

when i emerged at the other end of the trail, i finally spotted my wife again. she was probably five or six blocks ahead of me. i began to suspect foul play. she was running harder than she had been in an attempt to beat me back to our starting point. grrrr!

i ran faster for a little bit, but started to feel a little nauseus. i backed off the accelerator a bit until i recovered my equilibrium and then put in another push.

when i climbed up and over the railroad tracks, my deficit had dropped to less than two blocks, but my wife was still running away from me. i dug deep and ran hard for the last three blocks.

she beat me by 20 seconds. she was smiling as she watched me run in. she was amused. i will be amused later. i'm too tired right now.

No comments: